Hypertension in Low- and Middle-Income Countries
The ICHOM Set of Patient-Centered Outcome Measures for Hypertension in Low- and Middle-Income Countries is the result of hard work by a group of leading physicians, measurement experts and patients. It is our recommendation of the outcomes that matter most to patients with Hypertension in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. We urge all providers around the world to start measuring these outcomes to better understand how to improve the lives of their patients.
- Recorded via the Beliefs about Medicine Questionnaire (BMQ [BMQ-Specific section]).
- Includes physical activity (recommended to track via the International Physical Activity Questionnaire [IPAQ-Short Form]), medication adherence (recommended to track via the Hill-Bone Compliance to High Blood Pressure Therapy Scale – South Africa Version [Medication taking sub-scale]) and salt intake (recommended to track via the WHO STEPS Instrument).
- Includes survival (overall and cardiovascular), blood pressure control, hypertensive urgencies and hypertensive emergencies, and erectile function (recommended to track via PROMIS single question).
- Includes hospitalization, peripheral artery disease, hypertensive crisis, heart failure, ischaemic heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, atrial fibrillation, and renal disease
- Recommended to track via the EQ-5D.
Team that developed this set
Vladislav Podpalov | Belarusian Hypertension Society, Vitebsk State Medical University
Otavio Berwanger | Hospital do Coração
Celso Amodeo | Brazilian Society of Cardiology
Anastase Dzudie Tamdja | Pan African Society of Cardiology, University of Yaounde
Norman Campbell | University of Calgary
Ernesto Schiffrin | McGill University, Jewish General Hospital
Peter Lamptey | London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, FHI 360
Raghupathy Anchala | Indian Institute of Public Health Hyderabad, Public Health Foundation of India
Yook-Chin Chia | University of Malaya, Institute for Healthcare Development at Sunway University, Malaysian Society of Hypertension
Albertino Damasceno | Eduardo Mondlane University
Manuela Fiuza | Universidade de Lisboa
António Vaz Carneiro | Universidade de Lisboa
Fareed Mirza | Novartis Foundation
Dorothea Nitsch | London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Gbenga Ogedegbe | New York University Langone Medical Center
Nam Phuong Do Thi | Heart Institute of Ho Chi Minh City
*Two patient representatives from Mexico and Tanzania were also members of the Working Group.
Are you implementing ICHOM Sets?
If your are implementing ICHOM Sets, please help us understand more about your journey by filling in our Implementation Survey. Click on the link below to complete:
We would like to add you to our Implementation Map if you are implementing or have implemented ICHOM Sets. Please click on the button below for more information.